Basic Self-Compassion Process
To practice self-compassion as needed, follow these specific self-compassion steps.
- Sensitize your mindfulness skills to become aware of your immediate experience of suffering.
- Hold a strong intention to respond with self-kindness. Use self-talk to be kind to yourself.
- Begin by softening your body. Relax your muscles, tendons, joints. Hold a natural half smile on your face.
- It may help to move your body gently.
- Use your “self-loving breath” to enhance calmness in the body. Slow, deep in and slow, deep out as you smile.
- Place mental attention on emotional experiences that were pleasant for you. Recall with all your senses.
- Utilize any helpful, caring interpersonal relationships you have in the self-compassion process.
- Seek out your experiential spiritual center and inhabit it. Go there with you mind-heart.
- Practice loving kindness meditation for yourself.
- Notice! Rest!
Inspired and influenced by the work of C. Germer and K. Neff. Especially Germer, C. and Neff, K. (April, 2016). Mindful Self-Compassion.
By Anthony R. Quintiliani, PhD., LADC
Author of Mindful Happiness