Amitabha Buddha – Pure Land Meditation
The following meditation had been modified by me to make it a more specific self-healing meditation and to better fit the time we now live in.
- Sit quietly and complete 3-4 deep, calming breaths.
- Pay attention to the quality and density of the light you see outside of your body.
- Do your best to “feel” the presence of this light.
- Become familiar with using the light of the earth, sun, moon, and stars to heal.
- Notice closely the absolute boundlessness and emptiness of the healing light.
- Imagine taking in the full colored light of a rainbow as your breathe in and out.
- Do your best not to worry; be as content as possible with this experience.
- Go into your memory or do this on a clear day/night – see and internalize the healing light in the rising and setting sun, in the full moon, and in all the stars above you.
- Do whatever you must to transform this light energy into pure healing light. Let go of doubt, defensiveness, and resentment. Be one with the healing light.
- Use your imagination to see/feel the light entering all of your sense one by one. Notice! Take it in!
- See, hear, feel, smell and taste the beauty of this ever-healing light. Let it all in!
- Allow in the healing light and sense its unconditional love for you.
- Let it enter your mind, body, soul, heart – your whole and beautiful self.
- Work hard to radically accept the healing light’s gifts to you. Accept it!
- Be with and be the healing light without clinging to it, attaching to it, or seeking it.
- Now breathe fully and smile fully, allowing yourself to be lit-up by the healing light.
- Be one with it in your inner body and mind. Be open!
- Experiment: Let inner darkness represent your deep, personal suffering – then allow tears and feeling of the healing light to “bless you.” Allow, allow, allow!
- Feel the healing light calming and soothing your afflictive emotional states.
- Relax into the light as it penetrates into you and your suffering mind and body.
- With each breath go deeper into your relaxation and appreciation.
- Feel and be the deep tranquility you are experiencing. Thank the healing light!
- Chant: “Om Mani Tabba Be.” Repeat the chant if you wish to do so.
- Now rest in complete healing light and inner contentment. Just be!
- For more information refer to DEMI (2010). Amitabha: The Buddha of Light and Life. See also Atone, J. (2011). The Promise of Amitabha Buddha…
Anthony R. Quintiliani, PhD., LADC
From the Eleanor R. Liebman Center for Secular Meditation in Monkton, Vermont and the Home of The Monkton Sangha
Author of Mindful Happiness