Drink a Cup of Tea with Thich Nhat Hanh
According to the article “A Perfect Cup of Tea” by Noa Jones, The Great Meditation Master offers this sage advice about the best way to enjoy a great cup of tea. I suppose if you would rather drink coffee, the same suggestions may apply.
- Recognize that in this moment you and the tea are in silent contact. No past, and no future – only you and the cup of tea.
- Have intentions to experience peace and happiness while you drink your tea.
- Hold and feel your cup, and breathe in to be one with the body in the present moment.
- Imagine the cup of tea is like life, but without other activities, worries, and projects – just focus here now on the cup of tea and you.
- As you slowly sip the tea, recognize that right now you are free from afflictions.
- Enjoy your liberation, and really enjoy your cup of tea.
- Yes, this can be a moment full of peace and joy, even if it is impermanent.
From Jones, N. (2017). A perfect cup of tea. tricycle.org/magazine/perfect-cup-tea…retrieved May 16, 2017.
Anthony R. Quintiliani, PhD., LADC
From the Eleanor R. Liebman Center for Secular Meditation in Monkton, Vermont
Author of Mindful Happiness